Newport Lawyer Representing Domestic Abuse Survivors

Domestic abuse can happen in any neighborhood. Individuals of all ages, races, religions and economic means can suffer the terror and pain of domestic violence.

If you are being abused by a member of your household or by a current or former intimate partner, we can help. Call the Family Law Center at (401) 849-9950 or contact us online. Our attorneys can arrange to get a domestic abuse restraining order taken out against the person who is abusing, harassing or threatening you.

Experienced Legal Help You can Rely On

Amey F. Cardullo has years of experience handling a large range of different cases involving domestic abuse. Ms. Cardullo has in-depth experience working on behalf of survivors of domestic abuse.

  • Early in her career, she spent a year as an AmeriCorps attorney focusing on divorce cases that involved domestic abuse.
  • She is a trained domestic abuse counselor who fielded calls from women in crisis who dialed domestic abuse hotlines.
  • She has presented workshops on protection-from-abuse orders and how clients can better access the legal system.
  • She mentors attorneys in Rhode Island who volunteer to represent victims of domestic abuse.

What is domestic abuse?

The abuser does not have to assault you physically for his or her actions to qualify as abuse. Domestic abuse can include:

  • Actions that physically harm you
  • Words or actions that put you in fear of physical harm
  • Harassment
  • Stalking
  • Cyberstalking
  • Forced sexual relations against your will

What should I do if I am not safe?

If you are being abused, it is important to take quick action to protect yourself and your children.

  • Gather Social Security cards and birth certificates for yourself and your children.
  • Go somewhere safe. We can refer you toa local shelter.
  • Call attorney Amey F. Cardullo at (401) 849-9950.
  • If this is an emergency, call the police and request an emergency restraining order, which will expire at the close of business the next day. The abuser will not be notified of this order. Then contact our office as soon as possible.

How can a domestic abuse restraining order help?

Depending on the circumstances of your case, a restraining order will compel the abuser to:

  • Stop contacting you by phone, email, text, letter or in person
  • Stop assaulting or harassing you
  • Leave the household if you live together
  • Hand over any firearms to law enforcementand forbid the abuser from buying or possessing firearms. There are some exceptions for members of law enforcement or the military, but only during hours of duty.

In addition, a restraining order will:

  • Award you temporary custody of your minor children
  • Order you or the abuser to pay child support for 90 days, after a hearing

Who can request a domestic abuse restraining order?

You can obtain a domestic abuse restraining order if the person who is harassing, abusing or threatening you is a:

  • Current or former family member
  • Spouse or former spouse
  • Parent or step-parent
  • Child or step-child
  • Relative
  • Person who have dated in the past year
  • Member of your household at sometime in the past three years

Contact an Attorney Who Cares

At the Family Law Center we know how to help survivors of domestic abuse. Our entire legal team will treat you with compassion and respect. Please do not delay. Call (401) 849-9950 or contact us online.

Our family law attorneys represent survivors of domestic abuse in Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, Bristol, Jamestown and throughout Rhode Island.

Get Top Lawyers Fighting For You

Protecting Yourself and Your Family